Saturday 7 April 2012

Siblings together - making a start

Hello

I've signed up to make a quilt for Siblings Together, a charity that helps siblings in care stay in touch and get together.  The lovely Lynne of Lily's Quilts has organised it and so many fantastic quilters are on board.

Already there are loads of quilts being donated - just have a look!

I spent a load of time surfing online fabric shops looking at fabrics that I'd like to use but in an effort to be frugal I investigated my scraps.  I don't have loads and I'm not very good at combining fabrics yet so I wasn't that hopeful but I did have a lot of 3" by 10" strips of Modern Workshop by Oliver+S - off cuts from a couple of layer cakes (the rest will eventually be a bed quilt for hubs & I).

After a lot of calculations (maths is definitely the hardest part of quilting) I worked out that with the strips and a few left over layer cake squares I had enough to make a decent size quilt top.
Here are the first four blocks

It was inspired by the Small plates pattern in A Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman.  The quilt should finish at about 66" by 76" which I think is a good size even for a teenager.

It is all cut out and I'm itching to get going!  Hope to have some time over the Easter weekend.

Hope you all have a great Easter.

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Cool blocks for a great cause, it will make a fab quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks are looking good! Can't wait to see all the others =D

    ReplyDelete