Thursday 9 February 2012

What a week!

Well I've not done that much sewing this week  - it is amazing how distracted you can get by a few inches of snow.
This was the view from our front door on Sunday morning - we live in Cambridgeshire so we are not used to getting this much snow (about 4 inches).  We also live at one end of a private drive and we couldn't get the cars out!  We have a sloping garden and we had the area next to the house flattened and a patio put in last summer, it has a two foot retaining wall and the snow had drifted and practically filled it places!

The kids however thought it was fantastic - I managed to persuade my 4yr old that we should wait until it got light before we went outside.  We built a snowman (during the construction my 2yr old shouted "Frosty snowman carrot nose" repeatedly), had snowball fights and built a fort.

Monday my son's school was closed.  I walked into town and bought snow shovels and a sledge.  I pulled the kids around on the sledge for and hour and then we dug out the drive - I certainly got a cardio workout that day!  After seeing Mum & Dad with the snow shovels the kids wanted a go too.

However I have managed to get a couple of things done.  My batik quilt is bound and finished and was made good use of over the weekend.  Gratuitous quilt in snow shot coming up!


 I also chose fabric for the new baby quilt I'm making.  It is the David bundle from Emma's Fabric Studio (plus some left over fabric from the Rainbow Charm swap - the orange at the bottom left). 

This is the first time I've ordered from there and I was very impressed - Emma responded the same day about the best coordinating flannel to go with the bundle and when my parcel arrived there was a free extra fat quarter!  I will definitely be ordering again in the future.

I'm hoping to get a bit more sewing done this weekend - but as I type it is snowing again so time will tell!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. no snow usually in southern UK - so everyone keeps telling me. I had to love through a quizz session about snow the Friday before it snowed iin London, so -I guess my collegues where well prepared.
    I want to see your snowman!
    Hey you need to enjoy the snow - who knows when you will get some again ... who's thinking about sewing when there is snow ... (well maybe after you powered yourself out in a week or so)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt and the fabrics for the baby quilt. I am visiting my parents in Northamptonshire and got a fair amount of the white stuff dumped here, I did no shovelling though ;)

    ReplyDelete