Thursday 1 March 2012

New stuff & Small blog meet

A couple of new things here

New fabric




Well new to me at least.  It is Twiggy by Sanae which I think came out a couple of years ago but my LQS were selling off the layer cake last month at a price I couldn't resist.  I had no real plan for it but when my Mum was here at half-term she really liked it so I've decided I'll make a quilt for her 60th birthday.

The plan is to make this one
It is a Moda Bakeshop pattern - Lattice quilt by Amy Smart.  I found a Twiggy charm pack and yardage for the back online (also on sale - hooray!).
I'm thinking about quilting hand prints onto the large squares (me, my sister, our kids, my Dad).  What do you think - nice idea or a bit cheesy?

New technique

I had a go at paper piecing last night and I loved it!  I've put off trying it as it looked scary but I love the circle of flying geese I've seen on various blogs.  I thought better not run before I can walk so I started with something a bit simpler

It is the first quarter of the Star block from Fresh Lemon Quilts Summer Sampler Series.  I'm hoping to do the rest tonight - everything is cut out and ready to go.  So excited to have stretched myself a bit.

As it is the 1st of March (Happy St David's day to any Welsh visitors) Lily's Quilts is running her monthly Small Blog meet.  I linked up last month and had some lovely people come to visit and I found some great new blogs so I'm linking up again.

Lily's Quilts

Now I'm off to see who else is linking up.
Sarah

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah - I linked up over at Lily's for the first time - I'm a new blogger. So hi from New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lattice pattern is gorgeous! It is going to look great. I was scared about paper piecing at first too, but it is really fun! I feel like I have more control with it. The star is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya saw your blog over at Lily's! New follower =D

    Love the lattice pattern. It's a great idea. Paper piecing is tricky. I'm making hexies at the moment O_O

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just about manage a hexie - your paper piecing looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job on the paper piecing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just visiting after seeing your link on Lily's Quilts. I also just recently tried (and blogged about) paper piecing and I also love it. I'm following your link to Fresh Lemon Quilts to try more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that twiggy fabric is gorgeous! a new follower from Lily's SBM. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sale fabric is always a bit more beautiful than regular fabric .. I will have to try out paper piecing too, as it really looks good (as soon as I moved my sewing machine, together with the rest to my new place) - I hope it doesn't look good only because you did it, but because paper piecing is doable by (almost) everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! Just stopping by from the small blog meet. I just tried paper-piecing for the first time a couple weeks ago, so fun! And totally not as scarey as I had expected. Your first piece looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete