Sunday 11 March 2012

Paper piecing & stash building

Hello

I've had a lovely few days.  The joys of paper piecing continue:

This is Evening star from the Summer Sampler Series - tutorial here.  A slight misalignment between the two blue points but I'm really pleased with it.  It is destined to become part of a tote bag for one of the ladies who run the wee chap's after school club.

On Saturday I went to Chilford Hall Spring Quilt Show with two of my lovely friends, Jill & Anna.  We met at NCT ante natal classes and have become close friends.  We try to have a sewing evening together at least once a month.

We went to Chilford Autumn Quilt show last year but it was a bit of a disaster as we went on the Friday and Anna & I had our younger children (almost 2 yrs old) with us.  Yes with hindsight it was crazy but we just didn't realise how busy it would be or how little space there would be.

So we decided we would go on the Saturday this year so that our other halves could have the kids.  It was bliss.  We got there just as the doors opened, had a wander and a first look at all the stalls and then oohed and aahed at the display quilts (I took my camera but never got round to taking any photos) - loads of inspiration.  After a little bit of lunch we split up and started shopping.  My plan was to stash build and my aim was to steer clear of pre-cuts, collection bundles or multi-coloured fabrics (all of which I have plenty of already). 

Amazingly I succeeded!  I got a few metres
Some half metres
And some fat quarters
And all for less than £80 - hurrah!

We were shopped out by about 3pm so we headed home but stopped at a garden centre with a nice cafe for coffee & cake and a chance to inspect all the purchases.  And then home in time for tea.

We already have plans for the Autumn!

Hope everyone had a good weekend too.
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Your evening star block looks great! Leaving your offspring with the other half is definitely the way to go with quilt shows, it looks like you had a very productive day, and coffee and cake to finish, what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the block! I have a love hate relationship with paper piecing, although its definitely love at the minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shopping! Sounds like a lovely day out. Your paper piecing looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow less than £80 for all that. You must have been doing some real bargain hunting. Garden centers are amazing, you can get some real colour inspiration from them =D

    ReplyDelete